The village of Freiston is situated in an extensive farming area, near the sea and about three and a half miles to the east of Boston. Freiston village also has four hamlets which are Freiston Shore, Scrane End, Haltoft End and Freiston Ings. Today there are over 425 properties in the parish with an approximate adult population of 860.
The first recorded Parish meeting was on the 4th December 1894 following the Local Government Act; with the first Parish Council meeting held on the 3rd January 1895.
Freiston is a village and civil parish in Lincolnshire, England. The population of the civil parish (including Freiston Shore) at the 2011 census was 1,306. It is situated approximately 2 miles (3 km) east from Boston. The Greenwich Prime Zero meridian line passes between the village and Hobhole Drain.
In 1114 Freiston Priory of St James was founded by Alan de Creon for Benedictine monks – it became a monastic cell of Crowland Abbey in 1130. Nothing remains of the priory buildings that stood on the south side of the present church, except for a Norman doorway in the south aisle that opened into the cloisters.
Until 1974 the parish formed part of Boston Rural District, in the Parts of Holland. Holland was one of the three divisions (formally known as parts) of the traditional county of Lincolnshire. Since the Local Government Act of 1888, Holland had been in most respects, a county in itself. Before this, Freiston had been in Skirbeck Wapentake, Parts of Holland.
Freiston Shore is a settlement in the Borough of Boston, in Lincolnshire, England. It is in the civil parish of Freiston, and approximately 4 miles (6 km) east from Boston.
In the late 18th and early 19th centuries, Freiston's sandy shore on The Wash was developed as a sea bathing resort. By the mid-19th century there were horse races and other attractions on the beach. However, the process of coastal accretion caused a salt marsh to develop, leaving hotels without customers. Since the mid-20th century, more marsh has been enclosed behind sea banks for use as arable land.
During the Second World War, defences were constructed around Freiston Shore as a part of British anti-invasion preparations of World War II. A number of pillboxes, gun emplacements and coastal lights were constructed. The remains of these fortifications can be seen today including a Ruck machine gun post, of a type once to have been widespread in Lincolnshire.
Sourced from, and further information from, Wikipedia by clicking on the links above.